Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Moore failed Ray Bradbury... and us

I've been meaning to write about this travesty since I first heard about it a few months ago. It's really pissed me off. Fahrenheit 451 is one of my all time favorite books and is actually responsible for started me down the road of reading instead of hitting a bong. I love Bradbury's work and respect the legacy he has created. It saddens me to see Bradbury treated disrespectfully by anyone, but to hear that Moore "borrowed" the title for his movie from the book and did not even bother to talk to Bradbury first (or after), feels wrong. I understand that what Moore did is not illegal, but instead of engendering respect for Moore and his work, it has pushed me firmly towards skepticism. If Moore can treat someone like Ray Bradbury like this, what does that say about his character? The thing that stinks like rotten fish in this bouillabaisse is Moore’s assertion that the Fahrenheit 9/11 has nothing to do with Bradbury's work. I guess if Fahrenheit 451 were not the seminal speculative fiction work of its time, and if it had not been taught to millions of young minds in our public schools, Moore's assertion might hold weight. However, history tells a different story.

Wait - maybe Moore is trying to compare Bradbury's work of fiction to his own work of fiction.

Parting thought – borrowing without permission is stealing


Pitching high and tight to Michael Moore