Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Starbucks v. Baylor

My atheist friends will wonder why this issue does not bother me. Just because Starbucks stirs things up with a God quote on cups, does not mean that I must boycott Starbucks. Starbucks is not making a faith based statement (like In-N-Out Burger), they are instead trying to provide inspiration for the "Average Joe" from our rich cultural heritage.

Starbucks recently pissed off Baylor University by printing:

“My only regret about being gay is that I repressed it for so long. I surrendered my youth to the people I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don’t make that mistake yourself. Life’s too [expletive] short.”


Baylor freaked out and pulled all the offending cups from their Starbucks store – apparently, there are no Gays in Waco, Texas.
I find Chuck Curries’s attitude toward the Baylor debacle refreshing, but I am more inclined to support McSweene's view of the subject.

If you love someone, set them free. If they come back, make sure you get the money they owe from before you set them free.

Do I care that Starbucks will make a god reference on a future coffee cup? Hell no, Starbucks, you go right ahead and print whatever you like. I’ve ate a thousand In-N-Out burgers and never once read their subliminal bible passage.

2 comments:

Johnny C said...

In-n-out has subliminal messages.. shit I just ate there last night.. ok well its not like I read their food or packaging I just shove thier fries in my mouth. MMMmmm.

I dont drink coffee, but from what you quoted as Starbucks having on thier cups.. so what. Really I mean a quote is a quote, its not a feature to convert the starbucks masses to being one with god. Should we worry about all the places that have refrences to buddha too. I mean it is a religion... ok well yeah..

sMhyla said...

i never knew. i just ate in-n-out tonight, didn't even notice anything. i'll try to find it next time. freedom of religion, right? agreed, that starbucks could do whatever they want. scary thought though...