Thursday, December 08, 2005

25 years ago I cried

I was 19 and in the Air force when I learned of John Lennon’s death. It was 5:00 a.m. The local radio station interrupted Rush’s "The Trees" to announce that John Lennon had been murdered in New York. I pulled off the road, stepped out of my AMC Concord, and vomited. The tears started to flow soon after. It is 25 years later and I am still moved by Lennon’s death.
I tried to explain it to my 10 year old son this morning. He asked me if John Lennon was a hero like Abraham Lincoln or Martin Luther King. I tried to explain that it was different; Lennon was all about love…. and tragic loss.

The MSM is all over the story this morning, I like this one from th SF Chronical. There will be candlelight vigils in Los Angeles and New York. I imagine in other places too. I heard four Lennon tunes on the way to work this morning and a small news story on NPR. The world will morn Lennon for another day – while Mark David Chapman continues to live.

The best essay I have ever read on Lennon’s death is by Harlan Ellison in his book of essays: “Sleepless Nights in the Procrustean Bed”. Give it a read if you ever get the chance.




Technorati Tags:
, , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lennon was killed on my 4th birthday. My aunt always liked to tell the story of how she called to wish me a happy birthday, but I was sad. When she asked why, I explained that my Dad's very good friend had died... Just another example of how many lives he touched...

Johnny C said...

I wasnt even born yet (not for another 2 years and 17 days) but I still consider it one of the bigger losses, including, Kennedy, King and a few others.

Yesterday was also the 1 year anniversary of "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott , from Pantera. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimebag_Darrell