Thursday, March 16, 2006

I lost my voice

It’s hard to write about things like this, but I’ll take a chance here tonight since so many of my regular readers have asked what the heck is going on.

A few months ago, I had a good day at work. The good day was followed by an even better day spent in conversation with a close friend. On the third day… well, I got the crap kicked out of me in a very public way. Just when I had started to think things are going well, I felt a tug on the rug that normally signals a bruising fall on my ass. I went from high to low in the space of 72 hours. It has been all down hill since then. I don’t know if my career is salvageable. I’ll work through this problem in the months ahead. It may be, or it may not. I am not afraid of this, but it is part of what has occupied my mind these past few months. The other piece of the puzzle is my conversation with my good friend. He is smart and constantly challenges me. This time he challenged my atheism with the best argument I have ever heard. He shook me to my roots. I lost my voice.

I’ve found my voice again. People might not like what I say, and judging by the occasional hate mail I receive, some may wish to do me harm. I know a few things better now and I have a better sense of my own thinking. Here are a few things I hold dear.
  • The existence of God cannot be proved or disproved.
  • What other people believe is none of my business – what I believe is my business.
  • Religion and Science are mutually exclusive; one cannot be used to explain the other.
  • A moral compass is standard issue equipment for each of us. Some people can follow a compass on their own while others choose to ignore it. Still others spend a lot of time talking about their compasses while telling others how to use theirs.
  • Whom you love is your own business.
  • Love is what life is all about.
  • Friendships are important to your mental heath. True friends are hard to make and even harder to keep. I can count my true friends on one had. I married my best friend.
  • Life is fragile and much too short.
  • Stupid people suck the life out of you – dishonest people simple suck.
  • Betrayal often masquerades as friendship – this is particularly true in the politics of the workplace.

More to follow….

Mojoey


Technorati Tags:

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Why is it that when I type in Christianity as a description of my blog I come to yours, and I noticed you had athiest written as a tag in your blog. Don't you find that odd? :)

Mojoey said...

Odd yes, but very cool too don’t you think?. I love to meet interesting people; even if they don't share my world view.

I am an atheist. I write about atheism some, but mostly I explore the stupidity of polarized and absolute belief systems. I take a bunch of pictures too.

Stop by any time.