Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Bless my ride


This is an eight-foot high mural of the Virgin Mary blessing low-rider cars in the city of Wilmington. It is absurd and yet another reason why I scratch my head in wonder when presented with the religious beliefs of others. In this case, asking the Virgin Mary to "pray for us" seems odd given that it is painted on the wall of a broken down second hand muffler shop. Is the owner asking the Virgin Mary to pray for all motorists, or just those who drive-low rider cars, or maybe just those who drive low-rider cars and speak Spanish? I thought the Virgin Mary spoke Arabic or some such language. Does she understand Spanish or even English for that matter? Where is Monty Python when you need them… Blessed are the cheesemakers…

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your post reminds me of when sports teams pray. Do they pray that they win and not the other team? Does God have a reason to favor one team over the other? I can understand praying for everybody to do their best and to not get hurt, but I doubt that's what they do.