Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Its been such a long time...

...I think I should be goin, yeah
And time doesn't wait for me, it keeps on rollin
Sail on, on a distant highway
Ive got to keep on chasin a dream
Ive gotta be on my way
Wish there was something I could say.

Boston's lead singer Brad Delp killed himself on Friday.

I worked as a roadie for Boston when they toured Southern California back in the 70s. My duties were simple. I pulled a cable, I rolled cable, and I listened to all their concerts too. I was a sound tech back in those days. Music was a big part of my life. I was more into punk than rock, but I got paid to do the Boston show, plus there was free beer, so I worked the shows with a drunken smile.

I met Brad Delp and the rest of the band at an after show party. I had a crew pass and everything. The band bought us a round of beer (Coors) and told us a few war stories. It was so cool.

I had beat up old 68 VW Beetle back in the day. I used it to go surfing each morning. I listed to Foreplay/long time anytime a took my friend Craig along. He was a Boston/ELO kind of geek. I have many memories of driving down to Huntington Beach in the dark with my friend while Boston played on a handheld tape deck. It was good times.

All of that was over 25 years ago. I don't even have Boston on my iTunes deck any more. A pity, I was feeling nostalgic.

Technorati tags: , ,

3 comments:

BlackSun said...

Hear, hear. This is sad. Brad Delp was a part of my growing up. I will always associate the sound of his voice with happy times.

Mojoey said...

I broke down and bought Foreplay/long time from iTunes last night. I even burned a candle.

Omar Cruz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.