Thursday, July 26, 2007

The OC Atheists meetup

An OCAtheist

I meet two web Atheists tonight. Jake, pictured at the left (who has a much longer beard than I do), is the author of After Faith and the Atheist Network. After Faith is an OG on the Atheist Blogroll. It was nice putting a face to his blog. 

I also met Blair Scott of Alabama Atheist. Blair told me twice he was on the Atheist blogroll. It turns out he does not have a blog. I guess he was confused.

Virginia Kean was the organizer for this little dinner gathering. She was well organized and did her best to engage everyone in the various discussions. Another picture of the group can be found here.

This meetup had a different flavor. I did not connect. Most of the talk was of making fun of Christians, topics related to Atheism seldom made the rounds. Although, I must admit, Blair was full of stories from the South, where it appears being an atheist takes more effort than it does here in the OC.  

This meetup was more like dinner with friends. A few people talked a lot. A few people listened. I was in the latter group. I think my problem is that I do not connect with the likes of the Rational Response Squad. I don't care to tweak the nose of the religious, I prefer a knife fight to protect my rights.

I'll give it a few more meetings, but my gut tells me it is futile. Long Beach was a little more my style.