Sunday, September 23, 2007

Blogroll Update: Atheism and Coffee

I would like to take a moment to introduce our newest Atheist Blogroll member, Atheism and Coffee. Dave, the blogs author, has written a brief introduction for his blog and a sample post. I encourage our membership to drop in and say hi.

My name is Dave, but I am usually known (at least on the net) as overcaffein8d. One day, I got bored, and decided that making a blog would be a good and sensible way to vent my frustration with religion, in a constructive way. So, Atheism and Coffee was born. The rants will continue until morale improves!

And the sample post (link)

Awhile back, I was having a conversation with a good friend (and the owner of the local coffee shop) about evolution. I seemed to be winning the debate-- he is a Christian, but otherwise very intelligent (you probably know the type). Anyway, I seemed to be winning the debate, when he asked "If evolution exits, then why are there still monkeys?"

I was stumped. I thought about it for awhile, and told him that I didn't know, and would have to get back to him on that one. So what do you think about this? Clearly, this is not conclusive proof for evolution, but it is an interesting point.

Here is my best response. When things mutate, they can often have a (slightly) different niche. They may eat something different, etc. Monkeys and humans are, by far, not the only example of evolution into a different niche. If a species evolved that had to occupy the same niche, then there would only be one type of species here.