Sunday, August 30, 2009

Persistence

I returned home briefly this morning to feed the dog. My wife and I are celebrating our 29th wedding anniversary by treating ourselves to a mini getaway at a nearby boutique hotel. It’s good to get out of the heat and feel pampered now and then. But I still have to return home to feed the dog. Thor gets cranky without his kibble.

As I got out of my car, a neighbor family drove by on their way to church, they said hi and asked me to join them at their new church. They know I’m an atheist, but every few months they ask anyway. Actually, it’s every few months over the last 15 years. They keep asking, I keep saying, “No thanks.” Their persistence is more than matched by my own. Their offers occasionally extend to my son, I always decline on his behalf. I explain that he can make his own mind up once he’s off to college. They think that is a bad idea…. That’s why he does not get to go to church with them.

It’s a delicate balance, and a lopsided one too. I am the only atheist on the block. That’s 15 to 1. On average, I am invited to church once ever 5 weeks. I don’t think the Christians will ever give up or go away will ever give up. It reinforces the fact that I am alone in this struggle, except for my imaginary internet atheist friends… I don’t think it was be as easy with them.

Well… he’s to 29 years of marriage and 30 years as an atheist!

Technorati Tags: