Wednesday, November 09, 2011

A poem a day keeps Joe from going insane

I love poetry. I consume it like all works of beauty. Slowly. I’ll take a day to savor it. To mull over it. To read it aloud and hear it echo off wall of my office. I’ll consume it one delicious word at a time and smile.

Today’s poem: Darkness by Lord Byron

I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space,
Rayless, and pathless, and the icy earth
Swung blind and blackening in the moonless air;
Morn came and went—and came, and brought no day,
And men forgot their passions in the dread
Of this their desolation; and all hearts
Were chill'd into a selfish prayer for light
:

Read the rest.

I did not come to poetry until 5 years ago. I don’t know why I excluded it from my reading. Now I cannot go a day without reading one. How odd is that? The people I grew up with would not believe it.

Technorati Tags:

1 comment:

Mildred Ratched said...

Nothing is constant but change. Maybe you never "discovered" poetry at an earlier age because you weren't ready to discover it.