Friday, August 23, 2013

No weaves for you

One of the problems I have with Christianity is that every church has its own brand of Christianity. Sometimes the differences are significant, like the differences between Southern Baptists and Baptists,  and sometimes they are trivial. In this case, I'll come down on the side of trivial. Pastor A.J. Aamir told his Waco based African American church that females must not wear weaves. I'm not kidding. Weaves are evil, or is that the women who are evil? I lose track.

Aamir told America Preachers: “Our black women are getting weaves trying to be something and someone they are not. Be real with yourself is all I’m saying.”

Aamir, who grew up in a strict Muslim household says he wants his congregation, where the average age of members is just 22 years old, to focus on what he deems as more important things than the hair on their heads. Aamir is also concerned that his parishioners are spending too much money on hair.

“Long hair don’t care. What kind of mess is that? I don’t want my members so focused on what’s on their heads and not IN their heads. I lead a church where our members are struggling financially. I mean really struggling. Yet, a 26 year old mother in my church has a $300 weave on her head. NO. I will not be quiet about this.”

Source: Unbeweaveable! Pastor bans weaves from his church
Original Source: Pastor says NO to women wearing weaves in church

Pastor Aamir leads the Resurrecting Faith Church in Waco, Texas. I'm sure Aamir is one of those pastors who wants his women to sit down and shut up. What's next? A burka?